Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Disorganised?

Has anybody heard of the National Study Group on Chronic Disorganisation? Check it out. It's for real! The group offers facts sheets, seminars, professional development, mentoring... I had no idea that I could get my own P.O. (professional organiser)! But the more I look through their stuff, the more I realise I am not Chronically Disorganised. I have a method of reducing junk (if it doesn't have a home or it gets on my nerves, I throw it away) and an effective filing system (put it in an email and it will never be lost).

Are you Chronically Disorganised? Take the test and see.

I might not be chronically disorganised, but I do procrastinate. Here's a few suggestions for people like me (I like #7) :
_______________________________________

FACT SHEET

Tips for Overcoming Procrastination for the Chronically Disorganized Individual or Household

Chronically disorganized individuals often are challenged with procrastination. Procrastination is a habit and not a fatal flaw. Most of us do not welcome change easily but we will benefit greatly from becoming willing to develop new habits to overcome procrastination. Below are just a few ideas to help with this challenge.

1. Remember that it is motivation that gets you started and habits that keep you going. Resolve to get started.

2. Put your professional and personal goals in writing. Prioritize them.

3. Write out a plan for yourself and make a realistic schedule.

4. What is delayed is often forgotten.

5. Delay until you have enough information but not all the information. Have the courage to make decisions with less than 80% of the facts.

6. Break up your projects into small pieces and avoid “all or nothing” thinking.

7. Procrastination often comes from perfectionism. We often procrastinate because we are challenged with doing things perfectly. “Perfection is the worst enemy of good enough.”
~ Anonymous

© 2004 NSGCD — This fact sheet may be reproduced for educational purposes only; copyright must be noted.
Fact sheets and other informational material may be obtained from the NSGCD website at www.nsgcd.org

No comments:

Post a Comment