Monday, May 19, 2008

Education Standards

Today's Australian had an opinion piece about the declining standards of education in Australia. There were many of the same old arguments trotted out (it's the teachers' fault - they can't control their classes!) but perhaps slightly more nuanced than usual.
"The deeper reason for the decline in standards is a complex set of circumstances that have led to reduced teacher effectiveness and a lack of public esteem for teachers and the education system. The latter, in turn, has dramatically worsened student behaviour to the extent that learning outcomes are severely affected in most classrooms."
It gets to me when education problems all get blamed on the teachers. From their first year in school, kids are more difficult to manage than they used to be. I think the writer is onto something when he talks about a 'lack of public esteem for teachers'. Kids don't respect teachers because the newspapers don't, the tv doesn't and their parents don't. On top of that, often school admins don't. I do supply work in many schools and often hear teachers whinging about how their principals and deputies won't back them up in discipline issues. They prefer to give the students the benefit of the doubt. Schools where this happens are very difficult to work in.

But I think the problem is broader than just children not respecting their teachers. Kids also seem to have more problems respecting their parents than they used to. And, come to think of it, mum and dad don't seem so good at respecting each other either.

I think our school system is actually quite a good reflection of general society.

Really, how much learning can happen when 30 disrespectful people are put into a room together?

2 comments:

  1. Hear, hear!

    Oh, and you make me very glad that I work in a school where the senior staff and admin wholly support teachers in discipline matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simone!
    A little Birdie told me about your blog and I thought I would stop by. I love this post -- can I quote it?
    Look forward to keeping up with you a bit via your blog!

    ReplyDelete