Thursday, May 8, 2008

married-people songs

As I said in the last post, one day I would like to be able to write a poem or song lyric about joyful, faithful, married love. I've tried before, but find it really hard.

Courtship, adultery and lust pose no real writing problems (though some moral ones). Plenty of angst there and well trodden formulas work quite nicely. But marriage? Angst, yes, but of a different order. My fears and joys are almost too deep to feel, let alone write about.

A couple of years ago, I tried to capture something of married love in a lyric based on the Song of Songs (my sister in law posted it on her blog as part of a series on the Song. Warning! It's a little explicit!). Except I don't think the Song is actually about married love - rather, it's about the experience of desire in courtship.

Anyone have ideas on what a married-people song would be like?

3 comments:

  1. They're pretty amazing lyrics Simone. Can totally imagine singing that to the one I love. Be good to see it performed. Is there music to go with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do keep thinking about it. I'd love to see someone celebrate the joy and depth of happy, faithful marriage. There's far too much already about the rest—perhaps because, as you say, it's much easier to write (and perhaps for other reasons, too).

    PS- Can I see/hear the music for your Song of Songs song?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason, none of the guys who usually do music for me were wanting to take this one on. Can't think why ... It's biblical. Surely there's a place for it on an emu cd...

    ReplyDelete