Friday, May 23, 2008

Teachers Meme

Nicole tagged me for this teachers meme (which Michael started). I need to name my five favourite teachers and say what made them great.

Ms Theideke read Wordsworth's 'Daffodils' to us. I sat up and listened. She read the 'Lucy Poems' and I lost my heart.

Mrs Ghetzel taught me maths from year 10-12. She showed me the beauty of a quadratic equation and taught me that it's okay to be passionate about anything. I haven't seen her for 15 years and can't imagine that she's still alive. She lived on cigarettes and coffee.

Mr Cummings was my instrumental music (trumpet) teacher from year 6 to 12. He was ex-army and a great concert band conductor. Under his leadership, our lowly state school band could beat the GPS schools in competitions. But more than that, he would patiently listen to my prattle hour after hour, week after week, year after year...

To this day I'd acknowledge Keith Birchley as my most influential teacher. I met him in my first week of uni - a young christian from a non-Xn family, hungry for the word - and he patiently, passionately and skillfully taught me the bible. He also showed me how God works in weakness and that the desperate state of my heart is no obstacle for God.

Hmm. Last one. Mark Baddeley almost got a look in - he was a fantastic doctrine teacher even at uni. But I guess I have to put down my Mum. Mum's a legend. Taught me most things: to live, to walk, to speak (no small task, I've got some bad genes), to write, to construct an argument...

So thanks to all of you.

That was fun. I tag: ben, craig, jo and you if you like!

3 comments:

  1. ha...you cheated! you managed to mention 6 teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith Birchley used to be my husband's regional director and was the first person who got my husband thinking he should go to Theological College. So I guess you could say he made a big impact in our lives too. Marion is an inspiration also.
    ~ Sharon from Equip Academy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon - do I know you? I feel like I should... Give me a clue.

    ReplyDelete