Sunday, May 11, 2008

Tribute

I love Sophie Hannah's poems. I don't know if I'm allowed to post one of her poems here. Is it legal? If it isn't, I'll erase... But why doesn't everyone pop on over to her site and buy one of her books? Anyway, here's one of my favorites. A moving sonnet from 'Love Me Slender'.


Tribute


For the first time I find it quite unnerving
That people's names are handed on to things.
No bench, so far, has proved itself deserving
Enough to bear your name. No hospice wings
Or students' union buildings will inherit,
If it has anything to do with me,
A name no other man could even merit
Let alone any slice of brick or tree.
I could be Lord Mayor with a town to listen
To my new street names; you would still be gone.
Now, as myself, with power to rechristen
No roads, there's still a tribute going on:
Though I call nothing by your name, I do
Practically nothing but call after you.

Sophie Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment