Friday, June 27, 2008

Agent Life

My friend and I are writing a program for a kids club we're running in December. We've written a couple before and have always planned to package them up and sell/give them away to other churches but have never managed this well. By the time we've run the program, we're so sick of it that we don't want to think about it again.

We're planning on doing things differently this year. We want it all packaged up, formatted, pdf'ed etc before we run it, so that we don't have to feel guilty afterwards.

I started work on it today. It may change many times in the next couple of months. We're wanting a spy theme... Slap stick style, get smart, inspector gadgetty drama... Spy crafts - fingerprint removal, booby traps, secret codes, invisible ink, scavenger hunts....Bible stuff from John's gospel. I'm thinking of structuring the teaching around 3 of the 'I am' statements.

1. I am the bread of life
Story: Feeding 5000 (John 6)
Memory Verse: Jn 6:35 Jesus said, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty." (or maybe just the first bit)
Main Point : Jesus makes food for his friends! (That will do for the 3-4 year olds) But he actually has something much better to give us.

2. I am the resurrection and the life
Story: Raising Lazarus (John 11)
Memory Verse: John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies"

3. I am the good shepherd
Story: Shepherd illustration and Cross
Memory Verse: John 10:11 Jesus said "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."

The big point will be that Jesus gives us life. Unlike food - which only gives us life for a little while. Better than what he did for Lazarus - who would die again anyway. Jesus gives us eternal life. And he does it by laying down his life for us. (I need to get this logic tighter.)

Anyone taught this stuff to kids before?



















I've done a rough flyer idea. Not so happy with it. The browns are a bit dull, it's too boyish, and the title is lame. Anyone got a better idea? I'd like the 'life' theme in somewhere. Would 'spy life' be any better?

No comments:

Post a Comment