Sunday, June 1, 2008

Calvin on...

Is it a female thing to want some understanding of the home life of a theologian before dipping too deeply into his work? Maybe. I'm going to be reading some Calvin over the next few months so I started tonight by looking at a few of his personal letters in this book. Here are some gems.



Calvin on a husband's love for his wife... (pre-marriage)

"It is a thing against nature that any one should not love his wife, for God has ordained marriage in order that two may be made one person—a result which, certainly, no other alliance can bring about."

Calvin on choosing a wife... (pre-marriage)
"I am none of those insane lovers who, when once smitten with the fine figure of a woman, embrace also her faults. This only is the beauty which allures me, if she be chaste, obliging, not fastidious, economical, patient, and careful for my health."

Calvin on the death of his infant son...
“The Lord has dealt us a severe blow in taking from us our infant son; but it is our Father who knows what is best for his children…God has given me a little son, and taken him away; but I have myriads of children in the whole Christian world.”

Calvin on the death of his wife...

"Although the death of my wife has been exceedingly painful to me, yet I subdue my grief as well as I can. Friends, also, are earnest in their duty to me. It might be wished, indeed, that they could profit me and themselves more; yet one can scarcely say how much I am supported by their attentions. But you know well enough how tender, or rather soft, my mind is. Had not a powerful self-control, therefore, been vouchsafed to me, I could not have borne up so long. And truly mine is no common source of grief. I have been bereaved of the best companion of my life, of one who, had it been so ordered, would not only have been the willing sharer of my exile and poverty, but even of my death. During her life she was the faithful helper of my ministry.

Calvin on life after the death of his wife...
"My wife, a woman of rare qualities, died a year and a half ago, and I have now willingly chosen to lead a solitary life."

No comments:

Post a Comment