Friday, June 6, 2008

sexist and racist

This morning I got a call from 'that' school. I went in fear and trepidation.

But the day wasn't too bad. I've had worse. Much worse.

A couple of things that I wish today's adolescents could be taught:

1.) A comment is not sexist simply because it is direct towards a person with a sex.

2.) A comment is not racist simply because it is directed towards a person with a race.

I've been accused of being sexist and racist many times lately. I am 'racist' because I ask an Anglo boy to pick up his litter at lunch time. 'Sexist' because I ask a mixed group to work quietly in class. I don't think the kids have any idea what the terms mean.

Now there are other accusations they could direct towards me that may be more accurate. Tyrannical? Maybe. Sexist or racist? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment