Thursday, July 10, 2008

Come Again

If I lived 400 years ago, I would have broken my heart over this song. I still do. Almost.

Come again,
sweet love doth now invite,
thy graces that refrain
to do me due delight.
To see, to hear,
to touch, to kiss,
to die with thee again
in sweetest sympathy

Come again,
that I may cease to mourn
through thy unkind disdain
for now left and forlorn.
I sit, I sigh,
I weep, I faint,
I die, in deadly pain
and endless misery

Gentle love,
draw forth thy wounding dart:
Thou canst not pierce her heart;
For I that do approve.
By sighs and tears
more hot than are
thy shafts, did tempt while she
for scanty tryumphs laughs


John Dowland

3 comments:

  1. Um, that's just a little bit romantic :) ...

    Can't you send me Sophie Hannah? - pretty please? :) - either way I WILL find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make no claims about consistency...

    Maybe I'll send it to you, but not till my SH fast is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so you are fasting on SH too? I don't suppose you want me to post your book back then ...

    At the moment I feel like I can indulge myself in a little romance - as it's not like I have a real relationship for it to harm. Might change my mind later though.

    ReplyDelete