Monday, September 8, 2008

gastric bands and persuasion

My sister has just done a course in gastric banding (she's a surgeon). On the weekend I read a book that she's to give to people who might be considering surgical procedures to aid their weight loss. The book was well written, scientific, sympathetic and depressing. It was very down on 'lifestyle' weight loss strategies (diet and exercise) because they just don't work long term (apparently). It then went through the pros and cons of all the surgical options, concluding that the lap-band is by far and away the best option.

The book was persuasive. So, persuasive, in fact, that after reading it for an hour I felt that a gastric band was the only way forward for me. Sure, I might lose these couple of kilograms, but sometime in the next few years I'll probably put them back on again. Pointless, pointless, pointless. Willpower can only last so long and chocolate slice tastes so good...

Then I woke up. WHAT?!? I'm well within my healthy weight range! Why would I even think about bariatric surgery?

A bit concerning, really. That a sympathetically written medical book could convince me that I need potentially life-threatening surgery to deal with a problem that I don't have.

No comments:

Post a Comment