Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Baby Baby (Look into my eyes)

My lyric writing book suggested that we write a song entirely out of cliches, making sure that nothing original sneaks in. I can guarantee that there's not an original syllable in this. What fun! Songs like this just write themselves.

Baby baby (Look into my eyes)

we've only just begun
and I can't stand the pain
give me half a chance
and I'll take you back again

I know I've done you wrong
but we can rise above
forget my foolish pride
surrender to my love

look into my eyes
see my broken heart
touch my very soul
I'm falling apart

Oh baby baby
Oh baby baby

way down deep inside
I know that its all right
although it hurts so bad
you'll always hold me tight

this thing that we have
is worth fighting for
I get down on my knees
don't walk out the door

Oh baby baby
Oh baby baby

look into my eyes
see my broken heart
touch my very soul
I'm falling apart

Oh baby baby
Oh baby baby
Oh baby babeeeeeee

[normally I sign my work. not this time.]

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm... it does work for pop music. Crowded House songs are basically cliche-as-pop-music. 'Four seasons in one day', 'You take the weather with you', etc, etc...

    Now try put a Christian edge on that and you've got a hit Christian song.

    Hmmmm.... Christian cliches...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Linden.

    I think I'll have to disagree with you about Crowded House. Don't think their lyrics are cliche at all. Quite the opposite.

    "It doesnt pay to make predictions
    Sleeping on an unmade bed
    Finding out wherever there is comfort there is pain
    Only one step away
    Like four seasons in one day"

    Brilliant.

    If I was to use the 4 seasons line, then that would be cliche. In their song it is fresh and meaningful. Wish I had made it up!

    In my book there was a 3 page list of cliches. My song just strung a few of them together. I wasn't picky. Just wrote down any I saw. I think I could make a similar list of christian cliches - but it wouldn't be nice, so I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But see the thing is, put these words in the mouth of a Mariah or a Celine or a...whatever the male equivalent is, and you'd probably have a hit. Sad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually no - probably more like a boyband hit, rather than a solo effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me re-phrase: I think they USE cliches. The cleverness is how effortlessly CH turn cliches into a metaphor for something else.

    ReplyDelete