Tuesday, February 3, 2009

bible study and r.e.

After considering different learning styles and personality types (and reading leading better bible studies) I'm amazed that any group ever runs successfully!

Our women's b.s. group is starting this morning. I'm praying that God will be among us and somehow give us the grace we need to learn together. We're looking at Ruth, using a modified 'sweedish method' [I admit to finding this term rather... well... sensual?] I think it should be great - but then again, I have the personality and learning style best suited to the group thing.

I also start teaching RE (that's scripture for southerners) again today. I have 3 year 2 classes. All good.

1 comment:

  1. We've been trialling the Swedish Method with international students over the summer, since I was thrilled with Peter Blowes showing us through the method in an evangelistic strand on SPRTE. It worked a treat with not-yet-Christian ESL students, and it's been going OK with our regular members back in Newie. I'd be glad to hear your reflections on what tweaks work best. Our best fyi: everyone has post-it notes for each icon and puts up their contribution at each stage on a board. After everyone has contributed their light bulbs, say, the group has a discussion about which should be moved to the centre of the board, and how the others should be grouped. This helps get closer to the central point/question/application of the passage at each stage.

    ReplyDelete