Thursday, March 26, 2009

don't try this at home

I just got a demo back of perhaps the worst lyric I've ever written. I mentioned it a few weeks ago. Just like to confirm that 4 and 5 syllable words are terrible.

I can't bring myself to quote entire lines, but here are a few choice words to give you the idea:

definitive
unlimited
infinity
indefinable
undeniable
irresistable.

All of those words and more were packed into a chorus. How could that be good?

The verses are okay and the tune is great so we're not quite ready to dump the song yet. But if I listen to it again I will be.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I don't know - Chris Tomlin has a hit with Indescribable and that's full of long words.

    Although it probably messes with your scheme (but it sounds like you're going to do a rewrite anyway) "unlimited" could become "limitless" - that's 3 instead of 4 syllables. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a tad disappointed, Simone.

    Do you reckon you could fit indefatigable as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey kutz. Nice to have you around.

    6 syllables are beyond me.

    maybe you could write a song based on ps 121:3-4 called 'indefatigable'.

    Thanks laetitia. Tomlin did it well. I did it badly.

    ReplyDelete