Wednesday, March 18, 2009

times and seasons

This is the first year that I've had all the kids at school. It has been a big change for me, possibly the biggest since Nathan was born in Jan 2000. Here are a few things I've noticed:
  • I miss having the kids around during the day
  • but I enjoy the freedom of having time to myself
  • I waste more time now that I have more time
  • Some things that were impossible, difficult or annoying last year aren't a problem this year - I have time to go to mum's morning teas, help out with school swimming, or drop around to see a friend without feeling like I am using up the few precious minutes I had to myself
  • I am more relaxed than I've been for a long time
  • I have more energy to be organised. I'm now sending school forms back on time. I feel I'm on top of things and am not such a scatterbrain.
  • I like having a dog. This is a big change. This time last year I never ever wanted a pet, but we got one for Joel for his birthday. Our dog is always at home and is pleased that I'm there too.
  • I have more time and energy for Andrew.
  • The school day is so short! By the time you've done 3 gym classes and caught up on the blogs, it's time to do pick up! (I'm joking about the gym classes. Some of them, anyway!)
  • I'm not working much this year and don't want to! But money is nice... I'm doing a few half days in the next couple of weeks which are not a big deal.
Anyone else have a newly emptied nest?

2 comments:

  1. We back onto the school where Ian teaches. You sure do realise how short the school day is (even when you don't have children) in this situation - "Oh no, it's school traffic time - maybe I'll leave going to the shops / post office / gym / footpath... for an hour."

    ReplyDelete
  2. HO BOY, I can't wait. More relaxed, more organised, less hairbrained!!! I won't have to squish time for the gym between tea and 7pm closing time (giving myself indigestion...). WOW!

    ReplyDelete