Thursday, August 13, 2009

Our delinquent dog part 2

13 months ago, we became dog owners. Before that, I was an animal hater. I didn't want a dog but the kids had begged and begged and Joel needed something special at that particular time. So we took the plunge. Long time readers may remember my deliberations on breed. Basically, I wanted the battery operated variety. One that was around when it suited me and not around when it didn't.

In the end we got Aravis - a beautiful Cavalier x Tibetan Spaniel. She was very cute from the start, but I wasn't really into her so didn't touch her at all if I could help it. In this post, I said that I hoped to like her eventually. In a house full of men, Arry is now my special friend.

Today I sat outside with her for half an hour, talking about whether it was really necessary to run down the stairs and bark at every passer by. She conceeded that it wasn't necessary and agreed only to bark at men and weird looking women. We talked about quite a few other things but I didn't raise what was really on my mind.

You might remember the story of Arry's adventures with a good looking mini foxy. Unfortunately, things did not end there. A few days later, while we were away in Rockhampton, Arry went under our friend's fence and had an encounter with 'Biff'. Biff is not an attractive creature. Not the kind of guy you'd want hanging around you're adolescent girl. Apparently Biff has a great personality, but I'm struggling to care about that right now. The two dogs had to be pulled apart (thanks Chris!) and Biff cried his heart out for 45 minutes.

So, with one dog or another, it's likely my girl is expecting. I'm feeling maternal and clucking over her quite a lot. The kids are very excited. Trouble is, I don't want Biff's pups. Anyone got a couple of hundred dollars to fork out for a Cavalier x Staffy pup? No. I didn't think so.

2 comments:

  1. I feel sad for Biff. He sounds like a lovable rogue to me. The kind of guy who ain't no oil painting, but he's got your back if you get into a stoush in the school yard.

    Simone, I can see some areas of potential growth for you, and I'd like to encourage you as a brother. Beauty not only fades, but is skin-deep, and in the end your ugly catapiller may emerge a butterfly. Or something.

    You need to embrace these filthy little mongrel-spawn, and look past the hideous deformities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go on - Satffies are cute. A darn sight easier to care for than a long-haired breed. Besides, being more "bitzer" the puppies will likely have less health problems than either parent.

    And is it really 13 months?! My, time flies.

    ReplyDelete