Thursday, October 22, 2009

I've started something

The other day I posted 12 [sharable] things that I like about my husband. I wrote it after I had written a rather polemical comment on Izaac's blog against people raving about their marriages. Truth is, I hate hearing people (preacher's mostly) dropping comments about how fabulous their marriages are. Especially when they are not balanced with details about how they suck as a spouse. It comes across as very thinly veiled boasting.

Even lists about how great our partner's are is moving towards dangerous territory. Hopefully I didn't cross the line. Nathan's still reading, which is a good sign, because he has a sensitive stomach when it comes to personal sharing.

Anyway, others have jumped on board and are writing lists too. Check out Ben's, Amy's, and Soph's. Any others I haven't noticed yet?

7 comments:

  1. Indeed. Oversharing is bad.

    I'm trying to decide whether or not to write a list. It's easier now that Ben has.

    But I think these lists are gay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when guys write them, there is always the chance that they are hoping for something in return...

    find a way to subvert it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It warms my cockles no end that Nathan used the phrase "I think thse lists are gay". I was blue, but this has brought much unforseen joy to my day.

    Nathan, write a list to show how manly you really are. If you bow out, you will forever be a blouse in my eyes. It is the trully manly man who can write poems, love lists and wear pink shirts. Join us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe to balance we need some lists of what drives us insane as well.

    But I can't help but think that most marriages benefit from sometimes sitting back and thinking about the things that you like rather than the things that drive you mental.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "But I think these lists are gay."

    Well...I think you're gay.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Traditionally I'd counter that with a mum joke...

    I have posted my list.

    ReplyDelete