Wednesday, October 21, 2009

on refugees

The way we (ie. people on talkback radio) speak about refugees, you'd think that we deserve to live here in Australia. That it's because of things we've done that we have such easy lives. That we are more worthy of health and comfort than the rest of the world.

I didn't build any of the roads I drive on. I didn't grow the food I eat. Like most Australians, I work a little and have an awful lot given to me just because I was lucky enough to be born here. The prosperity we enjoy comes to us as gift.

We should be grateful and ready to share.

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking the other day that the people who whinge loudest and most publicly about so called 'que jumping' would probably be the first to try and jump the que if they ever found themselves as refugees. The sense of self righteous entitlement is staggering

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true.

    There seems to be this idea that 'if they come here then I will miss out', which is so sad. And so missing the point about what we are supposed to do in this life.

    Besides the fact of course that for many of these people there is no queue to join...

    ReplyDelete