Thursday, November 19, 2009

disaster cookies

I've had many cooking adventures since getting the ratio book for my birthday.  I've made several batches of biscuits roughly following the 1:2:3 (sugar:fat:flour) ratio.  Most have worked well. 

Last night I thought I'd try a short cut.  I melted the butter and mixed in the (white) sugar instead of creaming them together as I usually do.  I also had some condensed milk which I chucked in as well and white choc chips.

The biscuites weren't a triumph.  The sugar didn't disolve properly and the end results looked like they had been sprinkled with sugar.  Not sure why, but something funny also happened to the butter.  When I pulled them out of the oven, each bikky was frying in a fatty yellow puddle.  When they cooled down they were crunchy on the outside and doughey in the middle.

So not great.  I called them my disaster cookies.  The kids thought this was a little harsh because they still tasted delicious.  Put enough white chocolate into anything and it will be okay.

Next year I'm considering having a regular feature - Simone's cooking adventures.  What do you think?  Perhaps others with the ratio book could try too and we have a bake off!

5 comments:

  1. We've had a couple of "chocolate surprise" occasions.

    One was when we were in a flat with an untested (by us) oven and tried to cook a chocolate cake using an equally untried (by us) recipe. The cake never seemed to cook so we kept sticking it back in the oven for 5 or 10 minutes. Eventually we gave up and just ate random chunks over a few days (kept it in the fridge) until we got sick of it and tossed the remnants.

    I've accidentally used baking soda instead of icing sugar. Now that was an experience NOT to be repeated! :-)

    BTW, what's the ratio for cake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have we not learned this year that any competition ending with the word 'off' is likely to end in tears?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the book, Simone. I've been looking, but haven't seen it on a shelf yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew got it for me. Not sure where from. I'll ask him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Simone, do you reckon the fatty yellow puddle would have a lot to do with the condensed milk? How much did you add? If it was even a reasonable amount, that's one heck of a lot of sugar and milk fats to be adding!

    Sounded great in theory though. I thought adding condensed milk to anything made it better!

    ReplyDelete