Wednesday, December 2, 2009

As sure as the morning

As sure as the morning
as certain as the day
there's comfort for the weary
hope for all who stray.
The father holds his arms out
and bids the sinner come
so come to him for mercy
find shelter in his love.

My sin drove the nails
my selfishness, my pride
were thorns upon his crown
the spear within his side.
And though I'm scarred by sin,
corrupted through and through,
the morning's surely coming
with mercy ever new.

As sure as the morning
we'll rise to meet new life,
redemption's price is paid
God's wrath is satisfied.
Now all is grace, each moment
is kindness undeserved
So I will live to thank him,
I'll live to praise my Lord.

sar 2009*

* Kind of 2009. It's a reworking of a song I wrote a couple of years ago that we couldn't make take off. New meter. New title line. New words. Hoping for better things this time.

5 comments:

  1. I like it.

    I was going to suggest just "God's anger satisfied" rather than "God's anger's satisfied" but now I see it's been updated from the version that appeared in my Google reader feed. This works too.

    But I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.
    That's beautiful.
    Thank you.
    May we be singing it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for posting!
    That was what I need to hear.
    It's good to be reminded of sure things.
    Looking forward to singing sometime in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like it, Simone, and I really like the "As sure as the morning" line.

    I happened to be fiddling with my guitar while reading, and just made up a tune and sang it to your words. They're nice words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you all like it.

    But since posting, it's gone through another 17 re-writes. Taking the total number of versions to 1,256,964.

    I was going to post a new version, but will wait. I suspect we've still not cracked it.

    ReplyDelete