Thursday, January 14, 2010

as for the foreigner

It is a strange thing that I, a 21st century Australian woman, should be reading the scriptures of the Jewish people.  What have the historic records of this Hebrew people to do with me?

I'm a christian and all of it is mine in Christ.  This is wonderful.

But every now and again I come across a verse which is mine - not just in Christ - but mine in all my un-regenerate gentileness.  These verses make my heart sing and realise anew that God does indeed want me to seek and know him.

Here's one I came across today.  Read and feel your heart warm.

Solomon prays: "As for the foreigner who does not belong to your people Israel but has come from a distant land because of your name-- for men will hear of your great name and your mighty hand and your outstretched arm— when he comes and prays toward this temple, then hear from heaven, your dwelling place, and do whatever the foreigner asks of you, so that all the peoples of the earth may know your name and fear you, as do your own people Israel, and may know that this house I have built bears your Name."  1 Kings 8:41-43

No comments:

Post a Comment