Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A new project

Just a little one.

Join me if you like.

Each day or two I'm going to spend a short amount of time (say 15-20 minutes) thinking about a particular emotion and trying to capture one facet of it in 50 words or less.

Here's a list of emotions I've come up with.

  • depression
  • anger
  • sadness
  • grief
  • joy
  • happiness
  • excitement
  • fear
  • love
  • obsession
  • jealousy (thanks Tim)
  • despair
  • contempt/disdain (al, anika)
  • temptation
  • hollowness (tim)
  • contentment (chris)
  • guilt

Have I left any out?

Pick one, if you like, and have a go.

It doesn't have to be a masterpiece.  Post it on your blog or in my comments.

10 comments:

  1. I was going with jealousy too...

    I wonder what that says about whom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm... I think I left this comment under the wrong post. *Very confused*

    ReplyDelete
  3. contentment? Don't know I'd be so good at imagining that one.

    Contempt? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about hollowness--- not so much despair just a nothingness (don't know how to describe it)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim - think about it for 15 minutes, then write one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes; contempt/disdain. My favourite poem is very disdainful...in an ironic sort of way.

    --

    I Being Born a Woman and Distressed
    Edna St. Vincent Millay

    I being born a woman and distressed
    By all the needs and notions of my kind
    Am urged by your propinquity to find
    Your person fair, and feel a certain zest
    To bear your body's weight upon my breast:
    So subtly is the fume of life designed,
    To clarify the pulse and clarify the mind,
    And leave me once again undone, possessed.
    Think not for this, however, the poor treason
    Of my stout blood against my staggering brain,
    I shall remember you with love, or season
    My scorn with pity, -- let me make it plain:
    I find this frenzy insufficient reason
    For conversation when we meet again.

    --

    And this project is a wonderful idea. Please do some disdain!

    ReplyDelete