Monday, January 18, 2010

oops. I think I've just written a ballad

So I've written this lyric and it has a few good lines... but it won't go anywhere because it refers directly to a couple of bible stories.  There's a verse on Moses and a verse on David then a chorus tying it together.

Why is it that with adult congregational music you can't retell bible stories without it sounding really naff?

I can do it in kids' songs, so why not in adults'? 

I blame you, churchgoer!  Why don't you want to sing ballads?

4 comments:

  1. Umm, you should have been at Summer School and seen all the adults happily participating in the "Children's action chorus". Put it out there for adults - many want to return to the happy, simpler times of their childhood and appreciate the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually read the OT less than children, so unsurprisingly we don't know the stories as well.

    Therefore when we sing "Hannah finding hope in her redeemer..." we know more about Hannah Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like a good ballad. Big guitar solo. Electric synth. Lycra. Huge hair.

    I'm up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. Maybe think country and western ballad. Probably closer.

    I can do the big hair, though.

    ReplyDelete