Friday, February 26, 2010

in search of a mainstream non-romantic song

Okay, so my friend is looking for a well known mainstream song to use at a church outreach next week. Something they can perform. The talk is a Kellar reason for belief type thing. The song should raise questions about what life is all about.

Trouble is, a song can't easily be found. A decade or two ago there were plenty to choose from. U2, REM etc were churning them out.

In the last 10 years? Nothing.

Why not?

I think its because these days we interpret any existential angst we might feel as romantic/sexual angst.

So whereas the eighties gave us this, the naughties have delivered...

7 comments:

  1. I once heard that Chasing Cars is actually about his dog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! And I thought it was about...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben Folds Album of 2001 Rockin the Suburbs is one of the most played albums I've got. Some excellent stuff. Do you like him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about Kelly Clarkson, 'My Life Would Suck Without You'? Oh, wait, that might be angsty. Or it might be about vampires or something.

    Ok, I'll be helpful. This got a fair bit of airplay in 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erk. Dodgy banner ads. 'Black and Gold', Sam Sparro, take your chances on Google, or listen here.

    My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so I'm an attention seeker, miss.

    Did they find something?

    ReplyDelete