Wednesday, February 10, 2010

some good things about today

  • I got to teach at my second favourite school - 2 classes - half a day with each.
  • I got to teach my favourite class at this school.  I've had them a lot in the last couple of years.  I know them, they know me, and I think they are delightful.
  • A boy I spent most of the 2nd half of my day yelling at, hugged me as he left.
  • The second class I taught had several kids with normal-ish needs
  • 49 kids I taught today did not cry
  • I got paid to read Roald Dahl.  (20 minutes = $20)
  • Had friends over this afternoon
  • Andrew played golf
  • My legendary husband blitzed his MA subject. (Actually, that's yesterday's news, but I wanted to write it anyway.)
  • Joel, for the first time ever, is excited about reading.  We've borrowed a few very easy Zac Power books and Joel is ripping through them.  Three this afternoon and now he's begging me to go back to the library for more.
  • Nathan has finished the fellowship of the ring
  • No one got hurt this afternoon light saber fighting (unfortunately, not so this morning.)
  • My foot didn't ache all day today.
  • I'm listening to the songs submitted for Emu's next cd.  I'm feeling insecure about ours - but this is good!  If I was confident that all of ours would make it, it would probably indicate that the overall quality is low.  (It's not.)

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a triumph. Which MA subject?

    And does this mean I've been rejected as a reviewer? (Sniff) Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you send emu your name and details?

    Andrew did 'appreciating Calvin' through MTC last year. He went much better than he expected to. It was his first subject. He'll try another. Unsure which. You?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I responded pretty quickly...but I did mention that pig-ignorance thing, so perhaps I didn't fit the profile.

    MA - I've done units on Daniel and Puritan Spirituality; both excellent. I'm lined up for one on the Pastorals this semester (Con Campbell). By no coincidence, term 2's sermons are all on 1 Timothy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, should add - I've decided that despite loving church history/theology subjects, it's easier to keep the Biblical studies subjects under control, time-wise. You get more exegeticals and book reviews, which are far less painless than trying to do TWO essays in your spare time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, you can sleep easier. Just got an email from PP (well, 'just' means for once I wasn't up at 2:40am to receive it immediately).

    For those with ears to hear...my sermon this w/e, on 'The Man of the Spirit', deals with what it means to be indwelt by HS, and I'm using a Newbigin quote: 'It is not the lantern which a traveller in the dark carries in his hand. It is the glow on his face of the coming dawn.' So I was a little readied to hear afresh your lyric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I passed on the advice to Andrew. Maybe you'll see him in an MA subject some day.

    Hope you like the songs! I'd love to ask, but am meant to stay out of the process!

    ReplyDelete
  7. By way of feedback - I myself would find the whole evaluation process easier if I were able to just cue the whole lot up to play, rather than having to intervene to kick each one off. Part of the way I assess any song is whether it a) can work itself into my consciousness if I'm only half-listening and b) catches my attention whenever it comes on.

    With 22 songs to listen to, that's a whole lot of must-sit-in-front-of-computer time. And state only at lyric sheets. I'm betting my test is a good way of filtering out the songs that sing too easily on autopilot ;-)

    As for my opinion - perhaps I'll share once I've fed back...

    ReplyDelete