Monday, March 22, 2010

fat free banana cake

Right now I am trying to make a fat free banana cake.  Or banana crisp bread.  Or... something.

Here's what I've done so far.

I beat up 6 egg whites (220g) with 220g of caster sugar and a bit of vanilla essence.  Then I folded in about 220g of SR flour and a mashed banana.  I poured it into a papered square tin and baked it for about 30 minutes in a moderate oven.  I've just removed it from the tin and chucked it into the fridge to cool down.

At this stage it looks like a cake.   The bit that I pulled off the side was pretty chewy.  I'm thinking that I might cool it down fast then cut it open and see what it's like.  I've left the oven on in case I want to slice it up thin and cook it biscotti style.

This sort of experiment can, of course, go horribly wrong.  If it does, I'll comfort myself that the banana had to be used and the cost of the other ingredients was less than $2.

But perhaps it will be a triumph!

Anyone want to take a bet?

7 comments:

  1. I've just cut the cake and it's not bad. The outside is a little chewy but the middle is fine. But it is a very very poor cake that doesn't taste good when you first pull it from the oven. I suspect that by tomorrow it will be yuck.

    So I've cut off a few thin slices and I have them in the oven as we speak. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found my family will eat most cake disasters if I serve them up hot for dessert, preferably with custard over the top.

    (Maybe the fact that we hardly ever eat dessert helps)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It should edible warm, or same day eaten.
    The fat improves the mouth feel, the spread of flavour across the palate and helps it maintain moisture over a few days.
    I've found using wholemeal self raising helps, because it holds more moisture. Another banana couldn't hurt, either.
    Longer, slow cooking time might help too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I baked it in a slow oven for ages. That may have been a mistake. Somewhere between crisp and chewy. Edible, though. I'll see how it pulls up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete