Monday, April 19, 2010

coat of many colours

I'm quite pleased with it.  Surely a good thing to have in your children's ministry resources!

It's a little small for Andrew.  I made it to fit a 10 year old.  It's light green and blue behind.  Just 4 rectangles lined and sewn together.  The gold is meant to go around the middle.

While I was making it, I pondered Romans 8:28 and Genesis 50:20 which will be our key verses for the unit. 
 These verses ring true for our experience teaching RE this year.  At the beginning of the year we found out that, for all the wrong reasons, we had to teach RE in assembly style.  Andrew and I were quite unhappy about it, seeing it (rightly) as an attempt to stop us teaching the bible effectively to the kids.

But for the kids that we are teaching (unhappily, not the others), it has probably turned out for the best.  God knew that I was getting bored with RE and the new format (and some freedom to teach my own stuff) has made me energized again.  We are using the Education Department's bible readings (which, over the 7 years covers much of the bible!) and, because of the assembly format, don't need to stuff around with craft or worksheets or anything.  Basically, we can walk in, sing songs, teach verses, and tell stories for the whole half hour.  The kids are enjoying it and learning heaps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment