Saturday, April 24, 2010

I bought the polyester thread.

It was so so cheap.  $2.99 for 3 long rolls.  The cotton stuff cost $2.49 for one tiny roll.  Surely I made the right choice!?!

Um.  No. 

Three Egyptian costumes should have taken an hour to make.  The thread keeps going stupid.  I've made one little Egyptian skirt (stopping every 10cm to unclog the machine.)  On costume #2, half a seam has taken me 40 minutes.  I could hand sew faster than this.  I've given up for now.

Am I doing something wrong or should polyester thread come with a warning?

7 comments:

  1. I hand sew.

    When was the last time you used the machine? (I assume you had cotton thread at the time.) Would your machine be in need of a service?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the machine last on Monday. Expensive cotton thread then and it worked fine. I'll try again tonight with better thread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My quilting buddies sniff at polyester. It's cotton or nothing. Go out and buy the cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never, ever sew with polyester thread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, all this polyester hating. I've never had an issue with it. Cotton, on the other hand...

    When I am getting feed/clog problems it is usually something wrong with the tension or the bobbin isn't even.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thread I use for hand sewing is polyester. It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rushed out to Kmart just before closing and bought the best they had - polyester, but the $3 for 100m variety (rather than $3 per kilometer stuff I bought this morning.) I loaded it in the machine and had no further problems.

    I think the problem wasn't that it was polyester, but that it was the cheapest of cheap polyester. Never again.

    Thanks folks!

    ReplyDelete