Thursday, February 10, 2011

this will quickly drive me to insanity

Recorders. 30 of them. For four hours.

But what I've discovered is that the more the kids want to play a song, the faster they will learn it, and the quicker we can move on to something else. We've been playing through the prescribed book. Unsurprisingly, songs like 'the clown' and 'clowning around again' were badly done. After teaching these songs for hours I honestly can't tell you how they go. Uncompelling arrangements of Gs, As and Bs and Bs, Cs and Ds. Who cares? But I gave the kids 'Jingle Bells' which is the final song in the book and after 10 minutes most of them could play it. Because they wanted to.

So I'm after some different repertoire. (I think I can now say that we've done the method book adequately.) I'm after 5 note songs - G-D. Last year I taught the kids the chorus of 'Love Story'. I'm after something classy like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment