Monday, February 13, 2012

seven things.


  • The marriage books are right: make time for each other, learn good communication skills, talk about issues, be nice to each other... All obvious but really important.
  • Practice on the small stuff - who will wash the dishes, who will vacuum the floor - because bigger issues are coming and you need to have the skills to deal with them. (Paying for someone else to clean your house in the pre-kid stage may not help you long term.)
  • Flatmates are easier to live with than spouses. Don't think your marriage will be fine just because you lived together for a couple of years.
  • Money doesn't fix things.
  • A career won't make you happy.
  • Kids won't keep you together.
  • It really sucks when it all falls apart.


We're sorry (so, so sorry) but unsurprised.



If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
eLove is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it jis not irritable or resentful;2 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. mLove bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things,endures all things.


    7 comments:

    1. Replies
      1. Wish I could have been surprised in this case. Wish that despite everything it could have held together. Four little kids.

        Delete
    2. So true. Have also watched this happen to friends of ours. It's very sad :(

      ReplyDelete
    3. Four couples we knew last year. Four too many and all with kids still at home.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I'm so sorry to hear about your friends. We got sad news last week that some friends of ours have separated. Three kids - one at high school and two at primary school. It is horrible.

      I actually have found my husband easier to live with than flatmates - probably due to having had some shocking bogan flatmates. I find it easier to bring stuff up with my husband (doesn't measn we don't have our fair share of fights), but with flatmates I've found it harder to broach certain subjects and there can be a lot of underlying resentment.

      ReplyDelete