Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Cake Is A Lie

All my year 6s and 7s have to write me a song for assessment this term. They need to make up a song, type up the lyrics, do a rough demo vocal recording (on an iPod or phone or something), have a go at chording it up, and write out the music for four bars of it. After they are handed in, I work with them to fix up the chords, make garage band recordings, add some auto-tune and make class cds. It's fun.

Joel's song is based on the computer game Portal. He didn't attempt a cliche love song like most of the girls did... though I wonder if he isn't a little in love with GlaDOs - Portal's psycho AI antagonist. There's plenty of passion in his song anyway.


REFRAIN
The cake is a lie
 the cake is such a dirty lie.
The cake is a lie
 the cake is such a dirty lie.

VERSE
 GLaDOs & me, we used to be friends 
& we would play with portal guns together
then one day she said at the end 
there would be cake. The cake is a lie 

I stumbled on this old man’s lair 
I went in there
written in blood on the wall it said 
‘the cake is a lie’ and I thought... what the? 

REFRAIN
the cake is a lie 
the cake is a such dirty lie
 the cake is a lie
 the cake is such a dirty lie 

CHORUS
And GLaDOs said ‘there will be cake at the end’
& i’m like, ‘oh yeah forget about that silly old man’
 then GLaDOs lies to throw me in the fire pit.
 And GLaDOs says ‘there will be cake at the end’
 & i’m like, ‘oh yeah forget about that silly old man’ 
then the cake is a lie, the cake is actually a lie. 

VERSE
I cried & cried cause GlaDOs had tried
to poison me with neuro toxin
she made me kill Companion Cube
my only friend. the cake is a lie

I remembered the silly old man 
Written in his blood on the wall there was
An arrow pointing …. exit  

REPEAT REFRAIN
REPEAT CHORUS

No comments:

Post a Comment