Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Who needs substance when you've got the easter bunny?

Easter bonnet parade at school tomorrow. 

Easter seems a time for all things vacuous. One of the prep classes is singing this song. Another is singing this. If you can't talk about Jesus at this time of the year, it seems that you need to descend into the completely inane. 

I've taught all 6 prep classes this little song I made up. It's not very good but at least it moves towards something. Feel free to use it if you are looking for something secular that suggests something more. (I have a rough recording. Email me or leave a comment with your email address if you want it. The recording is too awful to post online.)

What's inside the egg?


What’s inside the egg
hiding in its shell?
has it scales or has it wings?
Who can see? Who can tell?

What’s inside the egg
Scratching with its claw?
One thing we know for certain
One thing we know for sure:

New life! New life!
What’s inside the egg?
New life!
New life! New life!
What’s inside the egg?
New life!

a chicken or a dragon or a turtle or a flea
a lizard or a penguin or a little buzzing bee
a snake, a shark, a spider, perhaps a dinosaur
One thing we know for certain. One thing we know for sure:

New life! New life!
What’s inside the egg?
New life! 
New life! New life!
What’s inside the egg?
New life!

sar 2013

7 comments:

  1. I like the song!

    My son's Easter hat parade is today. We struggled with how to navigate it in the public school context, but hey, that's why we're there. We ended up making a chicken hat based on a helpful segment of Better Homes and Gardens a few weeks back. We've chatted with our son about the kinds of things he might feel comfortable to say if people ask him about it, eg "Chickens remind me of new life and Jesus gives new life too". We'll see how that goes. Thankfully with one chicken hat made, we might be able to keep it and reuse it in two years time when his sister goes to school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole secular Easter thing is driving me mad. I work in a Christian school, yet what the kids are taught in Scripture/chapel is just drowned out by the Easter show, the eggs, the bunnies, the Easter hat etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simone, I think the song is brilliant! No one could be offended by it and yet it points cleverly to the "new life" idea. Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those other two songs you linked to are appalling. Even in a public school, I think I'd be more than a little bit peeved to know my kids were singing them (or even hearing them!).

    Yours, on the other hand, is great. I'm with Deb, I love how it talks about "new life" without offending anyone. Hopefully some of the little people might even ask about the new life part and what the egg symbolizes.

    I'm just feeling very chuffed here to be avoiding the school Easter hat parade for the first time in many years. I get this year and next year off before the next round of Easter bonnet production begins. I did have a little smile to myself as I was driving past the school this morning and saw all the poor parents turning up with their kids in bunny-eared and straw covered creations... And Jane, we have recycled previous Easter bonnets many times! We often use the same base and just change one or two things on top...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, for raising the idea of new life without raising the idea. happy easter (even if it is a bit late)

    ReplyDelete