Monday, July 29, 2013

Eleven things that I love about being a minister's wife

I haven't read a book on how to 'cope' being a minister's wife for years. I read a few when we first started out then just moved on. I love being a minister's wife. Wouldn't trade it. Sure there are some annoying things (my top 2: religious holidays (public holiday mostly equals more work and if it doesn't, we still can't go away) and the fact that I'll never be able to do church as my paid employment) but here are eleven things that I love about being a minister's wife.

1. I get to sleep with the minister.
2. If I don't like something that's happening at church, I can whinge directly to the top.
3. I don't have to serve my time (often years and years) before I can influence things.
4. Even though I'm not a minister or an elder, I can help craft the church's vision and strategy.
5. People want to talk to me and are more likely to have significant conversations with me faster because of who I'm married to. I find small talk tedious so this is useful.
6. I get to meet a lot of interesting people.
7. Clergy is like a club. Being part of it (even by marriage) opens up doors for all sorts of things. Being minister's wife kind of gives you credibility in an odd way.
8. I have a lot of reasons to read the bible. Currently I'm in two bible study groups a week and I go to church twice each Sunday. That means I'm opening the bible 4 times a week without even trying.
9. Lots of people care about our kids.
10. Lots of people come over to our house.
11. People are very kind to us and express love and appreciation.

2 comments:

  1. That's so funny, my list of hates and likes would be totally different.

    ReplyDelete