Tuesday, September 24, 2013

vibrato

I have to learn how to do it.

It's hard.

It's become a very large mountain in front of me.

Doesn't help that Micah took precisely 10 minutes to learn how to do it on cello. Is it harder on viola? Is it harder when you are OLD? Or is it just hard if you are me?

I'm trying to speed through the next couple of grades - finish grade 3 by Christmas, grade 4 by easter, grade 5 exam in August... but I'll be stuck where I am if I can't get this vibrato thing happening.

grrrr.

grrrr.

Can I just play some more scales instead?

2 comments:

  1. I gave up violin lessons because I found vibrato too difficult. My problem was that I self-taught initially and developed a lazy wrist position that made vibrato impossible. I wasn't willing to put the effort in to change my wrist position and I couldn't progress without learning vibrato, so I quit. I regret it now, especially when I listen to James's beautiful vibrato. Plod up the mountain and you'll be so glad once you reach the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never could master vibrato, back when I learned violin for a few years. Hope you manage it!

    ReplyDelete